Monday, August 03, 2009

A Summer With Conrad


I realized today that Ella starts school just 2 weeks from tomorrow, and I will be back at least a week before then. Suddenly the last days of summer of vacation are upon us. The kids and I have hit at least a dozen different parks this summer, mostly in an effort to wear Conrad out for naptime. Today we returned to one of our favorites, mostly because it included a spray park. Conrad's favorite.

Pictures of him running head first into a jet of cold water could not be a better metaphor for he how he approaches life in general. Full speed, head first, no fear. On good days, there is nothing better than to watch him enjoy life at full speed. On bad days, I count the minutes until its time to put him down for a nap.

He simply doesn't see things like anyone else I know. He doesn't like TV, has minimal use for toys, and when you take him to the top of a huge hill -- one his sister calls "a mountain" -- instead of running down it -- he tries to climb the fence instead. Again, on good days I'm glad he has a mind of his own and always sees what others don't. On bad days, I count the minutes until nap time.

But then he finds the hill -- and charges down!
Posted by Picasa