Friday, October 07, 2011

a,e,i,o,u

Conrad has recently become interested in spelling as a result of listening to Ella practice her spelling words in the car on the way to school sometimes. He's memorized how to spell a few words, but usually, if you ask him how to spell something, he just rattles off a list of random letters.

Well, I thought they were random letters until he was "spelling" several words in a row the other day in the car. I finally caught that he was spelling almost every word as "a,e,i,o,u". "How do you spell 'dog'? a,e,i,o,u" When I asked him why he was spelling every word that way, he said that those letters were vowels. Impressed? Yes. Confused? Absolutely.

He started to sing a few lines from a song in one of his Leap Frog videos about every word having a vowel. Then I got it. I think the song goes something like "Every word has a vowel....", which he interrupted to mean that every word is made up of only vowels. At least he's learning something, right?